Feb 7, 2007

Whatever Happened to Anna Chlumsky?

Guy, flipping through the channels: So, do you want to watch an Angel episode?

Cordelia: That would require getting up. But I know I don't want to watch VH1: One Hit Wonders. Oooh, ooh, go back, go back!

Guy: Is that Macaulay Culkin?

Cordelia: This is My Girl! This is a good movie! Let's watch this!

Guy, shrugging: I've never seen it.

Later.

Guy: What is he doing? Those are wasps.

Cordelia, silently: Oh God. The bees. I remember the bees. Is this the part? I won't say anything, and maybe this time Macaulay Culkin will make it!

Later.

Guy: Sniffle.

Cordelia: Sob.

Guy: That was an interesting choice of movie for the evening. I was feeling all energetic, and now I'm going to kill myself. "Where are his glasses? He can't see without his glasses!" Want to watch Schindler's List next?

Cordelia: Sorry?



I've seen My Girl like ten times, and I'd forgotten how it's right up there with Radio Flyer for Dear God, can I possibly cry more?

Right after the credits came an ad for Cool Runnings, another movie from my childhood, but I don't think we'll need to watch that. I did like the part where the horribly injured Jamaican bobsled team carried the bobsled up the ice. That was inspiring.

As for Anna Chlumsky, I thought she was good in My Girl, and looking at her photograph on imdb, she didn't turn into a scary adult with those huge features of hers--so what happened? Why is she stuck making movies like Blood Car, in which "gas prices are at an astronomical high. One man is determined to find an alternate fuel source. That alternate fuel source turns out to be blood...HUMAN BLOOD."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BLOOD CAR! Now why didn't I think of that? Can't wait to see it! (just kidding)
--Alex