Aug 4, 2006

Drills, Thrills, and Spills

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for your many insane comments (Stephen?). Highly amusing--carry on.

I waited to mention this until it was final, but this week is the week we've all been waiting for: the week I got a desk.

Yay! Of course, it's never that easy, is it? The first day of the desk's arrival was a horrendous upheaval, the likes of which I never care to rexperience. One lone guy had to disassemble much of the furniture in our offices, and then assemble new ones. All in a teeny tiny space. Given that my table was one of the things being disassembled, I had to go sit on the couch in my boss' office.

And twiddle my thumbs. For six hours. All because I'd stupidly DONE ALL MY WORK THE DAY BEFORE. I had to pretend to be working, which is difficult, especially while sitting in the same room with your boss, and with no computer to stare at intensely as though thinking very hard.

Combine this with migraine-inducing drilling going on directly behind me, as workmen were banging away at the wall of the building--and in so doing, were knocking pictures off walls and making me blind with annoyance.

(I want to make it clear that while I feel sorry for myself reflecting on all this, I feel much sorrier for the workmen and the aforementioned Lone Disassembler Guy).

And then--hurrah! The desk is together! And I will position it how I want it and I'll have drawers to put paper clips in rather than resting everything precariously on the top of my computer and. . .oh wait. Somebody stole my chair. And positioned my desk so that everyone will be staring right at my computer, and I will always have to be working even when there is no work to do because I did it all the day before. Goddamn it.

Today is better. My colleagues took pity on me and let me move my desk (gee thanks), gave me my chair back (again, so very kind of them). And of course, I did all my work yesterday so today I can just sit here and laugh hysterically at this insanity.

Although the drills have started up again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey, next time you're stuck without work, you tell your saucy boss you have have an important meeting with Stephen then go have a latte and a sticky bun.