May 18, 2006

K-nitting

I haven't really lived up to my own advertising, have I? I promised knitting obsessing, and there has been none!

Let's see. . .I'm nearing the end of the afghan o' death. I've been working on that thing off and on for, oh, two years. Remind me never to knit another afghan on needles smaller than fourteen. I have ADD when it comes to these things, and projects that are boring and repetitive and take forever often get shoved to the bottom of the list.

But! I've finished the boring part. Now I just have to pick up, like, a thousand stitches for the border. I hate picking up stitches. Who designed this damn thing?!

Oh, right. That would be me.

Actually, here's a surprise--I'm only working on two projects right now. Is craziness. And the other is equally interminable, and oft-ripped.

The problem is, this yarn (Loft Merino) while gorgeous and soft and delightful to work with, is so stripey that it's making my life very difficult. I originally wanted to make a lace poncho with it (work with me here, not all lace has to be floaty shawls), but even with extra large needles it wasn't draping right, and stripey lace just doesn't work. So now I'm trying Joelle Hoverson's poncho from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, and I'm happily ignoring gauge--which is always smart, isn't it?

But every time I lie awake realizing that gauge is important and I should rip it out in the morning, when I get up it looks very nice again. So I just don't know.

Time to work a different project, one that, you know, is relaxing rather than anxiety-inducing. Oy.

Song:
The State I Am In, Belle & Sebastian

Quote:
Lorelai: God, I'm nervous. Why am I nervous?
Rory: Because you're crazy.
Lorelai: Yes, good, thank you.
(Gilmore Girls)

No comments: